Tuesday, November 10, 2009

When is a Horned Frog a Duck….or a DAWG?



As I have stated clearly before, I really like a touch of black when it comes to the DAWGS uniforms. However, I like most Georgia people I know, have grown a bit weary of Georgia breaking out a new twist on the black every time we have a big game. On a related note, I will have more on Georgia’s big game trend coming soon. I guess I get Coach Richt’s position on this topic…(paraphrasing) being open to anything that helps keep the game fun for the players and maybe adds a little juice…but when the game doesn’t go your way it certainly leaves a bitter and hollow feeling in your gut for everyone involved.

I have seen other teams take a similar tact in recent years. The Oregon Ducks, backed by Nike’s Phil Knight, have an avalanche of uniform choices to choose from. So many, in fact there is a rule that no uniform combination can be repeated in a season. A few examples can be seen HERE.

Last year, Army donned a new look in the very tradition laden Army vs. Navy game. At first blush, I liked the Cadets look. However, the new look did nothing to change the foreseeable outcome of the game as Navy went on to win 34-0.





This week, the #4 TCU Horned Frogs are taking on the #16 Utah Utes in Fort Worth. A sellout crowd will be on hand for what looks to be the last major hurdle on the way to an undefeated season and all of the possibilities that come along with it for the Frogs. Enter the seemingly unavoidable costume switcharoo. This week, instead of the traditional purple helmets, black or purple tops and black or white pants, TCU will be breaking out these new Nike Pro Combat Uniform beauties:



You can read the full article and check out a slide show HERE.

I’m not saying that it’s not a good look. Frankly, I haven’t come to a decision on that one just yet, but I’m just shocked that it seems yet another team is trying to take advantage of a move that Coach Richt was so successful with just two seasons ago. (DISCLAIMER: I know that other teams have manipulated uniforms before CMR’s move, but I am a Georgia fan and therefore my perspective starts with the DAWGS and moves out from there.) Who knows if this is more a TCU “amp the guys” move or if it is just another Nike “Oregon Duck style” marketing ploy tied to a high-profile college football game. Will this move impact the game in any tangible or measurable fashion that spurs on the Frogs? At the end of the day, I don’t think it really matters. If TCU wants to add a little flair to the greatest game in the world that we know as college football, it has every right to do so. I just think that all of this alternate uniform business across the landscape of college football is getting a little out of hand. Changing a jersey color or a pant design seems within reason, but an outright overhaul for the sake of an event seems a bit much. I just hope we don’t see snarling bulldog teeth plastered on the Georgia helmets anytime soon.

GO DAWGS!!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like FSU had new Nike jerseys last week and Virginia Tech will have new ones this week. I don't understand what's up with the jersey switcheroo... I can't stand Oregon's jerseys and all the changes. I like the simple jerseys. In fact it's taken a while for me to warm up to Tech's jerseys.

Anonymous said...

If you're going to talk down (kind of) about Nike and teams choosing to wear alternative jerseys in "big" games, at least know the name of the founder of the company you're talking about. Phil KNIGHT.. not Kent. Holy smokes, that wasn't even close. And a lot of schools bring out new jerseys because it gets the home crowd excited. I happen to love it when schools include black into their uniforms. Black goes with anything, outside of brown.